Vernon Street Offices
London, UK

This new office building is in a west London conservation area amongst predominantly two storey brick-built housing and adds a substantial independent extension to the 1913 grade II listed former Magistrates Courthouse designed by the Edwardian architect, John Dixon Butler.

The white cast stone fa├žade facing the street has flush translucent glazing and is punctuated by an asymmetrical arrangement of deep openings that accentuates the impression of building mass.

On the western aspect, an external sunscreen is made from bronzed steel, whilst cubic roof-lights in translucent structural glass make a direct reference to the original leaded lanterns on the Old Magistrates Court.

Each office space is designed as a discrete room relating to one of the three, planted courtyards that punctuate the plan creating an introspective, private working landscape.

 

 

 
 

2001 - 2006

Project:
Commission

Client:
Vernon Street Property Ltd

Floor area:
2,230 sqm

Structural Engineer:
Barton Engineers

Environmental Engineer:
Max Fordham & Partners

Quantity Surveyor:
Bucknall Austin

Planning consultant:
Robert Turley Associates

Photography:
Nick Guttridge
Terry Pawson Architects

 

 

 
   

 

 

The massing developed from the form of the old courthouse, the prevailing urban scale and the rhythm of the street