St Mary's Church Hall
Wimbledon, UK

We were commissioned to design a new public hall for St Mary's church in Wimbledon for use by the local community. The present Grade II listed Church was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1843, and completes a continuous line of ecclesiastical buildings that have occupied this site since 1086.

The design responds to its context by re-interpreting the materials used in the existing church. White limestone ashlar contrasts with rough, blue/brown dry-stone wall on the street elevation, whilst a translucent glazed roof light provides a glowing counterpoint to the heavier stonework.

 

 

 

 

 
 

2001 - 2003

Project:
Commission

Client:
St Mary's PCC

Floor area:
160 sqm

Structural Engineer:
Barton Engineers

Quantity Surveyor:
Pierce Hill

Photography:
Tom Scott