Science Centre
Heilbronn, Germany

The “Hagenbucher” in Heilbronn is a storage building from the 1930's on the edge of the River Neckar and is the last reminder of an industrial era that typified this area. The competition was to transform this building into an interactive museum for science and technology, but at the same time to keep its special character and its relation to the town and region.

The existing six-storey concrete frame structure is extended at ground level with a brick plinth to place as much of the public space as possible next to the river's edge. The upper exhibition floors are connected to the base by a single escalator, whilst externally, they are visually segregated by a new translucent glass band that girdles the old building.

Invited Competition 2008