Town Hall Redevelopment
Heidelberg, Germany

Invited Competition 2010

Expanding Heidelberg Convention Hall.

Built in 1903, Heidelberg’s city convention hall, sits on a key site facing onto the River Necker. The competition requirement to enlarge the conference facilities whilst respecting the architectural integrity of the existing terracotta structure creates a particular challenge due to the architectural complexity and completeness of the existing building.

The proposed concept was to construct a separate structure with an underground connection to the existing facilities. The proposed building lifts the new conference hall off the ground and expresses this within a characteristic and expressive, gable roof structure. This allows the ground level to be open and transparent, making a fluid public space with a café and restaurant overlooking the River.